Regular readers will know that we adore reindeer in this house! You may have already seen our Printable Reindeer Antlers, sung our Reindeer Song, eaten our Reindeer Cupcakes and decked your tree with our Pine Cone Reindeer Ornaments! Well now you can make your own no-cook play dough reindeer too, what fun!
Christmas is such a multi sensory experience for children with lots of wonderful things to hear, see and touch and different foods to smell and taste. I really wanted to make this Reindeer Play Dough a bit special, so rather than just colouring it brown, I’ve given it a delicious chocolate smell too! I had wanted to add some gold glitter to the mix as well but my boys didn’t fancy it so we left it out this time.
This Chocolate Play Dough recipe is no-cook too which is just great because we’re all so busy at this time of year aren’t we?
We’ve got so many wonderful Christmas arts and crafts for children and you can see them all here. I wonder which one you’ll try next?
How To Make Chocolate Scented No-Cook Play Dough
Supplies To Make Chocolate Play Dough Reindeer
(This post contains UK and US affiliate links.)
For The Play Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup salt
- tablespoon of oil
- 1 cup warm water approx
Accessories To Make Reindeer:
How We Made And Played With The Chocolate Scented No-Cook Play Dough
- I love that this is a no-cook play dough recipe and is so easy to make, it really does only take a couple of minutes.
Simply put all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl. You might want to sift the cocoa to break down any lumps.
Next add the oil and then bit by bit add the water mixing all the time.
Once you’ve got a nice firm dough simply knead it until smooth.
Don’t worry if you’ve been a bit too heavy-handed with the water, just add a little more flour.
- Chocolate no-cook play dough is so quick to make and can be enjoyed by everyone regardless of their age, so this can be a really fun family activity this Christmas time. (Or Valentine’s Day!)
- I simply set the table out with a few basic play dough tools like a rolling-pin, a few cutters, some sticks from the garden and the googly eyes, pipe cleaners and pom-poms and we all had a blast making chocolate play dough reindeer.
- Each little chocolate play dough reindeer was unique and quite adorable don’t you think? And my did they smell good! (Make sure little ones don’t try to eat it, the salt content should put them off but supervise just in case!)
- Of course you don’t just have to make Rudolf the Reindeer with this chocolate no cook play dough recipe, robins, chocolate cakes and Christmas puddings would all be seasonal too. And why not come back to this no-cook play dough recipe for Valentine’s Day too for some pretend chocolate play.
- When you’ve finished playing with your chocolate play dough wrap it up tight in a plastic bag and it will store in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
- The play dough is so cheap to make you might want to let your children keep their creations. They’ll dry out in a warm room over a couple of days.
We hope you have fun making your own Christmas reindeer. We’d love to hear how you get on.
Getting ready for Christmas shopping? Check out our fabulous Stocking Stuffers for kids and grab yourself some super bargains.
You Might Also Like: