We are just starting to get our first frosts of Winter which is so exciting! Seeing puddles iced over, frost on the windows and icicles hanging down is always so fascinating to children. This Sparkly Icicle Craft is a wonderful way to bring the beauty and magic of Winter right into the home or classroom!
This sparkly icicle craft makes great Christmas ornaments for the tree or you can use them to create a Winter display right through the season. Our Christmas tree isn’t up yet so for now I’ve got ours hanging on our Wishing tree. They really do create a wonderful Wintery atmosphere.
Before we get started making icicles you might like to take a peek at some of our other Winter favourites too.
- Snow Gel Sensory Play is great when the kids want the fun of snow play without being outside!
- A Small World Snow Scene is a fun way to encourage imaginative play.
- Frosty Pinecones are fab if you’re looking for more Winter ornaments.
- Winter Sugar Painting is an absolute must!
Brrrrr, all those Winter activities have got me feeling positively chilly LOL. Let’s pop on a jumper and start our sparkly Icicle craft!
Sparkly Icicle Craft Tutorial
Supplies For DIY Icicles
How To Make Sparkly Icicles
1 – This sparkly icicle craft was inspired by some amazing blue glitter we picked up in our local Pound Shop. The colour just cried out Winter! Don’t worry if you can’t find the exact same blue, any shade should look great.
2 – To make a sparkly icicle start by cutting or tearing a piece of aluminium foil a few centimetres longer than you want your icicle to be. Then tear off the lower corners to give a blunt triangle. This helps your icicle craft taper.
3 – With the aluminium foil shiny side down fold over the top few centimetres of the flat edge. This helps strengthen the finished icicle craft and adds bulk to the upper section too.
4 – Cut a section of silver cord, tie it into a loop and glue it onto one end of the folded aluminium foil so it sticks out of the top. I use UHU glue for that bit of sticking so it dries fast. You could also use sticky tape too if you prefer.
5 – To make the shape of your sparkly icicles loosely roll the aluminium foil up widthways, starting at the end with the hanging thread attached.
6 – When you have a roll of aluminium foil gently squeeze along its length to make the shape of your icicle craft. You need to squeeze very gently at the top and very tightly at the bottom. This is great for kids motor skill and control development.
7 – Once you are happy with the shape of your homemade icicles you can start to apply a shimmery shiny layer. I use white glue like Elmers because it dries clear and dab it on randomly all over the icicle.
8 – When your icicles have their glue you can then sprinkle on your chosen colour of glitter. I do this over a paper plate because it saves the glitter from going everywhere!
9 – Once the glue has dried finish off your sparkly icicle craft by shaking off any loose glitter and hanging them on display. Don’t they look fab!
This sparkly icicle craft is so simple and effective. It’s an easy Winter craft for kids of all ages to enjoy.
You can print the icicle craft instructions below.
More Fun Winter Crafts To Enjoy:
- Aluminium Foil
- Silver Cord
- White Glue
- Blue Glitter
- Cut or tear a piece of aluminium foil a few centimetres longer than you want your icicle to be. Then tear off the lower corners to give a blunt triangle.
- With the aluminium foil shiny side down fold over the top few centimetres of the flat edge.
- Make a loop of silver cord and glue it onto the wide end of the folded aluminium foil so it sticks out of the top.
- Loosely roll the aluminium foil up widthways.
- When it's rolled gently squeeze along its length to make the shape of your icicle craft. You need to squeeze very gently at the top and very tightly at the bottom.
- Dab glue over the icicle and sprinkle on glitter.