These cute Caterpillar Chocolate Eclairs are so darn yummy!
Some Fridays after school I take my children to the local baker’s or sweet shop for a small Friday treat. My favourite is the bakery where I will always choose a fresh cream chocolate eclair, the bigger the better. There is something wonderful about the mix of crisp choux shell and soft fluffy cream and the slow melt of chocolate. MMmmmm.
The children suggested trying to make chocolate eclairs and I am so, so glad they did. I thought it would be really tricky which is why I’d never attempted it before, but if I can do it first time then anyone can!
I think the caterpillar chocolate eclair recipe is a really good one for children to help with too, once you’ve got past the first stage of boiling water, the rest involves lots of vigorous beating which is perfect for little ones. I will be coming back to this chocolate eclair recipe to again and again.
Ingredients To Make Chocolate Eclairs
(Makes 8 Large Caterpillar Chocolate Eclairs)
- 125g butter
- 250ml water
- 150g plain flour
- 4 eggs
- 300ml double cream
- 100g chocolate
- 24 white chocolate buttons.
- Optional 25g white chocolate
How To Make Caterpillar Chocolate Eclairs
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- In a saucepan heat the butter and water until the butter melts and the water boils.
- Remove from heat and add in all the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth dough.
- Add each egg, one at a time, beating vigorously until a smooth thick batter has been formed.
- On a greased baking tray drop 4 heaped teaspoons of batter in a row, just touching each other, for each caterpillar. Repeat to make 8 caterpillars.
- Bake for 40 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- When cooked and cooled cut each one in half lengthways.
- Whip the cream and spoon in to fill each caterpillar.
- Melt the chocolate and spread it onto each caterpillars’ top. Before it sets pop on your chocolate button eyes and noses.
- If you want to you can drizzle melted white chocolate over too.
I don’t think I will ever bother buying shop made chocolate eclairs again; these tasty caterpillars were easy and fun and the children enjoyed the vigorous beating stage immensely.