Are your kids super inquisitive? Have they got keen observation skills? Do they like to solve mysteries? This Footprint Trail Beach Detective Game is sure to capture the imagination of your budding super sleuth!
I love beach games that the whole family can enjoy together and this Footprint Trail Beach Detective Game is perfect for that. This mystery game has kept my kids happy from toddlers to teens and it’s always lots of fun.
Have your kids got the detective skills to discover the secrets behind the mysterious footprints on the beach?
This is a detective game that’s easy to adapt to match the ages and abilities of your kids. It will stretch your kids imaginations and test their observational and descriptive skills as they solve the clues of the mysterious footprints in the sand!
Who’s ready to solve the mystery?
How To Play The Footprint Trail Beach Detective Game
On a family trip to the beach I love to play games that get the kids really looking closely at their surroundings like our fun Nature Scavenger Hunt TIC TAC TOE Game. This beach detective game is great for honing observational skills too.
There are often loads of “mysterious” footprints in the sand; dogs, donkeys, adults, kids, boots, shoes, sandals, flip flops and bare feet! A beach full of busy tracks of footprints in the sand is the perfect setting for a beach detective game!
Basically your kids play detective by choosing a set of footprints to track and then they try to follow them along the beach while looking for clues and answering questions.
I’m sure you’ll think of lots of questions to ask your kids and to get you started I’ve listed two sets of questions below to challenge your kids. These questions will test both their observational and descriptive detective skills and also stretch their imagination and story telling skills too.
Questions For A Footprint Trail Beach Detective Game
On a busy beach with lots of footprints, following a track can get to be pretty tricky and kids observational skills will be tested hard. You can keep the beach detective game super simple for very young kids and let them enjoy just trying to follow the footprint trail. For older kids you can challenge their detective, descriptive and imaginative skills with any or all of the following questions.
Questions To Promote Detective and Descriptive Skills
These Beach Detective Game questions will test kids observational and descriptive skills.
- Look for a clear footprint to follow.
- How is this track different to others?
- What is the shoe tread like?
- What kids of shoes makes a track like that?
- Is it a man or women, boy or girl?
- What height is the person?
- What weight is the person?
- How deep is the print? Are they carrying a heavy load?
- Is their anything distinctive about the print? Do they push down hard with their toe or heel perhaps?
- Walk in their footprints. How big is their stride?
- What does their stride tell you about their height?
- What does their stride tell you about their speed
- Follow the footprint trail
- If the trail goes over rocks, pebbles or water you’ll have to try and pick it up again on the other side.
- Is the person/animal alone or with others?
- How many people are in their group?
Questions To Promote Imagination and Story Telling Skills
These beach detective game questions will appeal to your kids fondness for mysteries and get them using their imaginations to answer. There are no right or wrong answers and kids will probably come up with all sorts of exciting and interesting answers as they weave a story around their finds.
- Who might be wearing that shoe?
- Where did they come from?
- Where might they be going?
- How old are they?
- Are they walking alone?
- Who are they with?
- What are they talking about?
- Are they carrying anything with them?
- Are they walking slow, fast or running?
- What are they wearing?
- Do they stop to look at anything?
Beach Game Follow Up Ideas
If your kids have enjoyed solving the clues in the footprint trail mystery game then you might like to extend their fun and learning with these follow up ideas.
- Draw your character/s.
- Write a story based on your character and what they were doing on the beach.
- Take a plaster cast of a footprint.
- Take your fingerprints.
- Make a message in a bottle.
- Design a treasure map.
Kids will have so much fun testing their observation and descriptive skills and sparking their imagination with this exciting beach detective game!
You might also like:
- Nature Scavenger Hunt TIC TAC TOE
- Survival Skills – Fire Starting Challenge
- Raft Building STEM Project
- Toy Making STEM projects
Please keep your children with you at all times. Make sure children are aware of stranger danger. Do not let children approach or talk to strangers.
More Outdoors Inspired Activities To Love: