As Valentine’s Day rolls around again, I thought I’d share with you an old family favourite of ours, Scratch Off Secret Messages Valentine’s Day Cards. We first shared them last year on the lovely Red Ted Art’s 31 Day’s of Love Series but wanted to show them to you here too as they are so much fun!
Children will love to surprise their friends and loved ones with hidden secret messages that are only revealed when the coloured coating is scratched off!
We’ve done these cards for Valentine’s Day but the idea could be used all year round for birthday cards, thank you cards, party invitations…you name it!
Supplies To Make Secret Message Scratch Off Valentine’s Day Cards
You Will Need:
(This post contains US and UK affiliate links.)
How To Make Secret Messages On Your Valentine’s Day Cards
- Make your open and shut card by folding a piece of card in half.
- Use another piece of card to cut out a large heart shape to draw or write your secret message on.
- Use felt marker pens to create your surprise message. Older children might like to write something and younger children can draw pictures.
- Use the wax crayons to cover over your secret message. (Using the wax crayons on their side works well. You might want to put some scrap paper underneath so you don’t get crayon overlapping onto your table top.)
- Continue adding layers of wax crayon until your secret message is completely hidden. We found using different coloured crayons for each layer gave the best coverage and most messages are covered easily with just three layers.
- Glue your secret message heart onto the front of the folded card. Don’t forget to tell the lucky recipient that they’ll need to scratch off the wax to reveal the surprise!
- Open up the card to personalise the inside too. For added fun you could even tape on a coin so the lucky person getting your secret message Valentine card can get scratching right away!
We hope you have lots of fun making your own secret message Valentine cards. For lots more of our fun Valentine ideas check out our Valentine Gallery and Maggy at Red Ted Art is sharing more ideas on her 31 Days of Love Series.
Happy Valentine’s Day
I’ve got a Pinterest board dedicated to all things kids and Valentine’s Day. Why not follow along?