Use sticks from the garden to make the cutest Stick Men Valentine Friends! A super cheap Valentine craft for kids that’s not too soppy for the boys!
Can you keep a secret? I’ve actually been crafting today without the kiddies because I’ve been making these cute little stick figures to give them for Valentine’s Day. Shhhhh don’t spill the beans!
I just love how these little Stick Men Valentine Friends turned out. Aren’t they adorable? You know when you have an idea in your head but you just don’t know how it will look in reality? Well I just wasn’t sure how these little stick friends would turn out but they’re even better than I’d hoped!
Cheap and Easy Valentine Friend Craft For Kids
I know a lot of children like to give everyone in their class something for Valentine’s Day which is a loving idea but making or buying 30 Valentine gifts can start to get really expensive and time consuming! You’ll be delighted to know these little stick figure Valentine Friends are super easy and quick to make and hardly cost anything at all! A great Valentine craft for kids who want to send their friends something cute.
Valentine’s Crafts For Boys
These stick figures are a secret surprise for my kiddies this year but next year I’ll be inviting the children to make stick men for any of their friends that they want to send Valentine’s gifts to. Valentine’s for boys can be tricky though don’t you think? My two young men certainly don’t like anything too “slushy” and “icky”! I’m imagining my boys will make camouflaged, super hero or ninja stick men for their friends and they may ditch the heart shaped messages for plain squares or rectangles!
Supplies To Make Stick Men Valentine Friends
(This post contains US and UK affiliate links.)
- Sticks from the garden
- Fabric scraps
- Googly Eyes US / UK
- UHU glue US / UK
- Washi Tape US / UK
How To Make Valentine Friend Stick Figures
- I love that this Valentine craft uses sticks from nature! Start off by washing and drying your sticks from the garden and then snap them to the size you want. My little stick figures are about 8 inches tall but you could make them any size you like.
- I started off making the hair for my Valentine buddies. I cut small rectangles of fabric scraps and snipped into them to make the hair. Then I wrapped them round the top of the stick and secured into place with a little dab of glue. I love UHU glue for crafts like this, it comes in a squeezable tube so it’s really easy to apply just a tiny amount at a time and it dries super quick so you don’t have to wait around holding everything in place for ages. It also peels or washes off skin easily so it’s my go to choice when I’m crafting with children.
- Next I glued on the googly eyes and decorated the stick men with strips of washi tape. Amazon has lots of cheap tape designs to choose from. One of my favourites that I buy a lot is the rainbow tape detailed in the supplies list above and shown on the stick figure on the right. The children love the colours and the strips are a bit thinner than most tapes which makes it really handy for lots of children’s crafts. Sometimes the glue isn’t too strong on some washi tapes so if it starts peeling off you can easily use a tiny dab of UHU glue to hold the tape in place on your stick man.
- I’ve attached a cute Valentine message to each stick man using the word “Stick”! I cut out some heart shapes from card and used sharpies to write the message. Here are a few Valentine message ideas to get you started but you can probably think of other “stick” based messages to use for your stick men too.
Stick Men Valentine Messages For Friends:
- I’ll stick with you.
- I’ll always stick to your side.
- Let’s stick together.
- Stick with me.
- Stick along for the ride.
- Best friends stick together.
- Like minds stick together.
- We should stick together forever.
- I love to stick with you.
- Stick with me buddy.
- Some of the messages suit two little stick figures being together so I simply tied them close to each other with a bit of ribbon.
- I used a small dab of UHU glue to stick my Valentine messages onto each stick man and my Valentine craft was finished and ready to go!
I’m looking forward to surprising my children with their own little stick friend for Valentine’s Day and can’t wait to see what sort of stick figure characters they come up with next year when they make some as Valentine gifts for their friends.
I hope you and your children enjoy this simple Valentine’s craft idea. I wonder what sort of Valentine friend stick figure or Valentine message you’d make?
You can see our favourite Valentine crafts for kids in our Valentine Gallery and we have a Pinterest board bursting with lots more wonderful Valentine craft ideas. Why not follow along?