Ingredients To Make Valentine Cupcakes
(Makes 12 large Valentine Cupcakes)
For The Sponge
3 large eggs
160g self-raising flour
2 tablespoons coloured sprinkles tossed in a spoonful of flour.
For The Butter Icing Topping
100g softened butter
200g icing sugar
Few drops red food colouring
A selection of coloured sugar pastes and heart cutters (bright sprinkles would be just as pretty)
How To Make Valentine’s Day Cupcakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in each egg, one at a time, with a spoonful of the flour to prevent curdling.
- Gently fold in the rest of the flour to make a smooth thick batter.
- Toss your sprinkles into the spoonful of flour to lightly coat them (this helps prevent the colours bleeding away whilst cooking) and stir into the sponge mix.
- Spoon into 12 large cupcake cases (We use muffin cases) and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes until risen, firm to the touch and lightly golden.
- While your cakes are cooking and cooling prepare your topping. Roll the sugar paste thinly between 2 sheets of grease-proof paper and cut into your desired shapes (we used 3 different sized heart cutters), and set to one side.
- Beat the softened butter and icing sugar together to make a thick paste. Add your food colouring and mix in evenly. (We used just a couple of drops of red food colouring to give a pretty peachy colour when mixed with the yellow butter icing.)
- When the cakes are cold, pipe or spread the butter icing onto the top and add your sugar paste hearts or sprinkles.
- Now sit down with the family and share the love! Yummy!
More Fun Valentine Crafts For Kids: