Eeek, Christmas is looming and I bet I’m not alone in feeling the pressure of gift prepping right? I expect you love to give homemade gifts as much as I do but it takes so much time doesn’t it? Well not any more! This year I am hoot-wooting with excitement over this burlap owl craft that is going to solve all my gift problems!
Trust me when I say you’re going to hooting with excitement over this cute burlap and button owl craft too! Not only are these owls cheap to make, they are super speedy and no-sew too, so you’ll be well on your way to “made, wrapped and under the tree” before you know it and it’s a great little owl craft the kids to help with too.
And that’s not all…what I adore most about this cute owl craft is that you can easily adapt each owl to suit all the different people you need gifts for. Think owl bunting, owl magnets, owl wardrobe fresheners, owl puppets…and more! You can give each loved and cherished friend and family member an owl that is unique and purposeful for them. Whooooo wants to find out how?
Supplies For No-Sew Burlap Owl Craft
(This post contains US and UK affiliate links for products I love for this owl craft.)
Here’s everything you need to make your basic owl. I am a total button addict and just adore wooden buttons so have linked to each of the different buttons I’ve used in case you want to use the same ones. Of course feel free to use your own favourite buttons too.
- Burlap US / UK
- Glue Gun
- Plain Wooden Heart Button Beaks US / UK
- Large Wooden Round Buttons US /UK
- Small Wooden Round Buttons US / UK
- Patterned Wooden Heart Buttons US /UK
- Yellow Felt
How To Make Burlap and Button Owls
Making a simple burlap owl is super easy, just cut a square of burlap any size you like, fray the edges and fold it over as shown in the photo below. Then use a dab of glue from your glue gun to hold the folds in place.
Next choose your combination of buttons to make the beak and eyes. I’m just in love with these wooden buttons! Aren’t they gorgeous? If you want to buy your own there are links to each of them in the supplies section above.
For the eyes I used a combination of large round buttons, small round buttons and heart buttons. All of the patterned buttons are plain on one side and coloured on the other so I could flip them over onto each side for a totally different look and combination.
I used the glue gun to glue the eyes in place and then added a plain brown heart button for the owl’s beak, their curved shape works just perfectly don’t you think? I finished off by cutting out some yellow felt talons to glue on too.
Here Are Some Unique Gift Ideas To Make With This Owl Craft
The great thing about this owl craft is that you can make each owl totally unique. Your owls can be made big or small, fat or thin, tall or short just by altering the size of your burlap piece. You can also buy different grades of burlap too with tighter or looser weave which can give your owls a different look. The type of buttons you use and their combination all add to variety too and why not experiment adding other features like glasses or a bow tie for a more masculine owl?
These homemade owls can be used in sorts of ways too, with easy adaptations to make the perfect gift. Here’s a few ideas to get you started:
- Glue them to card stock to make an Owl Greeting Card.
- Glue a row of them to some string or ribbon to make Owl Bunting.
- Sew a little burlap pouch of lavender and glue it inside when you fold over your wings and head to make a cute Owl Wardrobe or Drawer Freshener.
- Make little owls and hang them on thread loops to make Owl Christmas Decorations.
- Make an owl family and mount them in a frame for a unique Owl Picture.
- Glue a magnet an the back to make Owl Fridge Magnets.
- Make mini owls and glue a thumb tack or large paper clip on the back to make Owl Office Supplies.
- Glue them to a hair clip, hair slide or head band to make Owl Hair Accessories.
- Glue them onto a broach or badge pin to make an Owl Broach.
- Make tiny owls and glue them together leaving the inside open so they can be slipped over a pen or pencil to make an Owl Pencil Topper.
- Use a marker pen to draw on a cute message such as “Owl Always love You”.
- Glue them to craft sticks for cute Owl Puppets.
Whether you are using this burlap owl craft just as fun for the the kids or to make unique gifts I’m sure you’ll agree it’s super quick and easy and the button and burlap combo is adorable! Check out more simple gift ideas here.
Don’t forget to share this idea with your friends on Facebook and save it to Pinterest. To share on a desktop click on the social media icons in the images or on the left and to share on a mobile click the links at the start or end of the post.