Do you have a sock eating monster in your house? We do! I always seem to have mysterious odd socks every time I do the laundry! What about putting them to good use and recycling them with a bit of puppet making? We’ve enjoyed creating these adorable Christmas Reindeer Sock Puppets for a bit of quick festive fun!
Our Reindeer Puppet is a lovely no-sew Christmas craft so children can make the sock puppet really easily and of course they can interact and play with it when it’s finished too! Puppets for kids are great for encouraging creativity, imaginative play, development of language and fine and gross motor skills. Why not check out our no sew Dragon Sock Puppet too?
Supplies To Make A Sock Puppet Reindeer
(This post contains affiliate links.)
- An old sock
- Glitter pipe cleaners UK / US
- UHU glue UK / US
- Pom-poms UK / US
- Buttons UK / US
- Burlap UK / US
How To Make A Puppet Reindeer
- Start off with the reindeer’s antlers. These are the trickiest bit to do so little ones might need some help. Decide where you want the antlers to go, for my children’s hand size with this sock they were just right in the middle of the sock’s heel. Cut two teeny tiny holes in the fabric about 3cm apart. The holes really do need to be tiny, just big enough to poke the pipe cleaner through. When the holes are nice and small the sock can grip the pipe cleaner and hold it upright. If you make the holes too big the pipe cleaner antlers will flop down. It’s not the end of the world if they do, so don’t worry, you could always turn the sock inside out and tape them into place.
- Once you’ve made the holes bend one long pipe cleaner into a u-bend and thread it through. Cut the second pipe cleaner into 4 and twist them onto the large pipe cleaner to make the reindeer antler’s prongs.
- Cut your fabric it two ear shapes. We used burlap but anything you have to hand will do. Glue along the flat end and pinch them together to make a more realistic ear shape. We love using UHU glue for this because it holds really well and dries quickly.
- Finally stick on the ears, eyes and Rudolf’s red pom-pom nose and hey presto you have a gorgeous no-sew reindeer sock puppet for some puppet theatre Christmas fun!
It doesn’t take long to make a sock puppet and it’s such a fun interactive Christmas craft for kids to enjoy this holiday. Are you rummaging in your sock drawer yet?
- No-Sew Dragon Sock Puppet
- Pine Cone Reindeer
- Printable Reindeer Antlers Headband
- Reindeer Cupcakes
- Chocolate Scented Reindeer Play Dough
- Reindeer Lollies
You Might Also Like: